01. What did you do in 2012 that you'd never done before?
Celebrated Xmas in Australia (also, without going to Navan within a month either side). Rang for an ambulance at 3:30 in the morning.
02. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I think they were basically "Get through the list of To Do stuff", which I really didn't, no. But I will!
03. Did someone close to you give birth?
My sister! Young Thomas Kane, on the 26th of August.
04. Did anyone close to you die?
05. What countries did you visit?
Ireland, Germany, Spain, Thailand (for 5 hours), and Australia.
06. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
Focus, as always. Promotion in work. More things done off the list, particularly the ones that I know are there because I avoid them.
07. What date from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
July 27th - Olympics Opening Ceremony
08. What was your biggest achievement(s) of the year?
Actually ringing for an ambulance, however inaccurate that ended up.
09. What was your biggest failure(s)?
A few months late in the year when I really wasn't the best boyfriend at all.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Yep, massive anxiety and stress, now all gone.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Bike! After previous version of bike went walkabout.
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
Politicians - British, American.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Mortgage - I will get a bit worried if this isn't the answer for the next 20 years!
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Olympics Opening Ceremony!
16. What song will always remind you of 2012?
Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepsen, also possibly Gangnam style (if it doesn't end up reminding me of 2012-2025)
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. Fatter or thinner? Definitely fatter, thanks to holiday eating.
ii. Happier or sadder? A little sadder, but more hope for next year.
iii. Richer or poorer? Poorer - I've only just really started saving again recently + getting to and living in Australia is monstrously expensive.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
More things off the list would be nice.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Playing useless video games, dicking around on the internet.
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
In Canberra, with G's Aunts & Uncle and her amazing grandmother.
21. Who did you spend the most time on the phone with?
Probably mum - it's more Google Chat with G.
22. Did you fall in love in 2012?
Stayed in Love
23. How many one-night stands?
24. What was your favorite TV program?
Olympics Opening Ceremony
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
I don't think I knew who Todd Akin was last year, so yeah.
26. What was the best book you read?
Journey in Mystery by Kieron Gillen / Prophet by Brandon Graham / Dial H by China Mieville
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Chairlift / Thea Gilmore / Alex Clare
28. What did you want and get?
Stuff done around the house - some shoring up, some exciting expansions (well, shelves)
29. What did you want and not get?
A promotion, more things off the list
30. Favorite film of this year?
It's been a great year, but the one that best matches big-screen entertainment, smart & funny dialogue, a tricky job done exceedingly well, and general Pandering To Me would have to be The Avengers. Not that it's easily comparable to EG Holy Motors or The Queen of Versailles!
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I was 37 and I woke up with G in Brighton before heading down to London for the traditional gathering in the pub - I think it's the first time that me, dawnage&orangerick's kid Iris and shewho's chap Johnny all clapped eyes on each other. We all got along quite well.
32.What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?
The usual for most of it - combats, walking shoes, bike helmet. And then for the last fortnight a sudden shift into Aussie Bloke - same shoes, shorts, sun hat.
34. What kept you sane?
Not much, and in one obvious instance nothing.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
The Environment - or rather what stirred me the most was its near-complete non-existence as a political issue.
37. Who do you miss?
38. Who was the best new person you met?
Probably oddnumbereven, though that was one-time meet and then the rest over t'internet.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012
Ring the ambulance.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year
I don't really so, no.